“Let me plead with you, lovers of my Africa, to carry with you into the world the vision of a new Africa, an Africa reborn, an Africa rejuvenated, an Africa re-created, a young AFRICA.”
Mangaliso Robert Sobukwe
The work on the Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe Museum and Learning Centre is progressing steadily, and is scheduled to be completed early 2017.
WHAT DOES THE MUSEUM AIM TO ACHIEVE?
- A lasting memorial to Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe, interpreting his life, times and ideals.
- Exhibit the history of the Masizakhe and Kroonvale and liberation struggles of the area.
- Enable the community, in particular its youth, to act as caretakers of the cultural and natural environment and as creators of their own futures.
- A sustainable model of ‘green’ technology – for the environmental education of residents and visitors.
- And, in the spirit of Sobukwe, provide a resource that builds community pride and inspires the quest for knowledge and life-long intellectual curiosity.
The Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe Trust will ensure that the museum contributes to the development and diversification of the heritage and tourism landscape and the mainstreaming of marginalized histories within the region as a whole.
The Trust appreciates your continued interest in its work and will continue to keep you updated on its future projects.
Issued by the Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe Trust.